Friday, May 27, 2011

swim lessons

Howdy friends and family,

Easton and Layla finished baby boot camp for little swimmers. After two weeks of intense training (ok, it was 30 minutes per day) they are officially pool safe. The cost was hard to swallow, but there is no price on the safety of knowing the twins can survive if they fall in the pool.

Here's Easton showing his life-saving technique.


They are standing next to their friend, Coleton who joined them for the boot camp. He looks a little unsure in the photo, but from what I saw he did really well in the swimming accomplishments.

and a bit more of a close up of the dynamic duo as they prepare for graduation day activities.


Lesson number one is: hold on to the side of the pool when the teacher is not focused on you. Both of them learned that the hard way in the first few classes as they fell off the step and a teacher rushed over to pull them to safety.


Once was enough! Even a three year old figures out how much that sucks after only once.

The other lesson we will have to continue working with Layla for is to keep her head down. She's a bit controlling and wants to have full visibility to the situation. That's OK in moderation, but you can't swim effectively unless your head is down.


The tricks were interesting, but I didn't care much about that skillset. All I care about is that they can swim towards the edge of the pool and get out if they fall in. Diving for rings and jumping in the pool are nice tricks, but won't save a life if an accident happens.

Cheap watermelon turned into a fun outdoor messy dessert after dinner last night. Before bedtime was the perfect chance to strip them down and bust out the watermelon. They both savored the flavor, but I forget how tiny their little stomachs are. We ended up with a bunch of left over even after I had my share.


And now for the written stories... Layla discovered sticking out her tongue was an outward expression of rebellion. I asked her nicely to clean up the princesses and castle on her floor. She thought for a second and then looked me dead in the eyes and stuck her tongue out at me. I could tell it was a test because she didn't even really know what that means.

I'm scratching my head to figure out where she saw that, but the source really doesn't matter much. I swiftly disciplined her calmly, with love. We went through THREE more rounds of the tongue problem in the same night. I don't mind because we are catching the behavior early and consistently correcting. My expectation is for her to figure it out and we won't have that problem later in life.

I picked a not-so-perfect time to get sick right now. At least I don't have to miss work! Kendra's birthday weekend is in full effect with gifts and dinner out with friends and time away by herself for shopping and a stone massage. Luckily my creeping crud isn't so bad I can't take care of the twins. We're having a great time playing dinosaurs and princesses. Sometimes at the same time. What's so weird about Cinderella riding a T-Rex to her castle?

No comments: