Friday, August 27, 2010

flowers for Layla

Howdy friends and family,

Out of 4 Webbs, I am the only one without a snotty nose and fever. Well, that's not entirely true... I still blow my nose, but the cause is from allergies as opposed to the other three Webb's who are working their way through a cold. It seemed to be an inevitability after I saw Kendra share lunch with Layla and Easton drink from her cup. Still, I had some hope they would dodge the bullet. No such luck.

The clouds kept the temperatures down below the "insane" level yesterday. To celebrate the relative coolness I took the twins to the mailbox for our repetitious trip through the green belt. We did all of the usual stunts such as avoiding ants and peeking over the neighborhood wall to see the train tracks. We also picked flowers (Layla) and shoveled rocks (Easton).


I stayed home from work today and spent hours of quality time with the twins. I was faced with two options. Stay at home and try to keep them busy with puzzles and books or get outside and enjoy the overcast less-than-scorching heat. I decided to do both. Even though they are not feeling well I could tell they would benefit from getting out of the house.

Last week Layla saw I bought a tiny rose bush for Kendra. Knowing Layla wasn't feeling well I stopped by the same grocery store last night and bought a potted flower for Layla.


This morning when we gathered around the kitchen island for breakfast I made a big deal out of it for two reasons:

1. I want Layla to know she is lovely and worthy to feel special. Mommy is first, but Layla is second and I hope she learns how to be treated by my example.

2. Easton. Do you see his inquisitive facial expression? That's the face of a boy who is learning how to treat girls. The scary part is that he is learning from ME and he's learning every second of the day when I interact with Kendra and Layla. If all goes well he will replace his propensity to bite with a desire to give flowers.

We started off the day at the duck park with a few pieces of bread. A duck became a little over-zealous with Layla's generosity and accidently bit her finger. Even though it was a minor incident with nothing more to show for it than a little scare and a few tears (My finger was bit once also) Easton brought it up throughout the day because he felt so bad for her.

Then we went to Best Buy because I have some gift certificates from work. Occasionally I get awards from people at work when I spend several hours fixing other people's problems. I save those up and when something at Best Buy catches my eye then I redeem my gift cards. Easton and Layla outgrew their puppy leashes a long time ago, but they still have not figured out how to obey and stay close by my side. Instead they wander off down the aisle touching every box and shelf along the way. I hope that changes soon...

As we stopped by my doctor's office it was pouring rain outside. Easton and Layla were amazed by the rain and it took some convincing to get them out of the rain and into the car because they were having so much fun.


After that we came home for lunch and then all 4 Webbs were down for a nap (cheers and clapping).

Once they were finished playing ring-around-the-rosy for the 25th time it was my turn to cook dinner since Kendra was gone most of the day. By "cook" dinner, I mean we went to In-N-Out burger, of course.

I caught Easton with a mouth full of fries. It's not his best glamorous picture, but at least he's looking at the camera!


We ended up at Bahama Bucks for a snow cone. I could lie and say we went there because the coldness would feel good for their feverish temperatures. Instead I'll be truthful and say we went there because it burned an hour and I really wanted a treat. It worked out very well and we had an excellent day together.


Tomorrow Kendra has a full day planned with girls and mentoring so I'll have another chance to spend serious quality time playing with and caring for Easton and Layla. I sure hope their fever breaks so they don't have to suffer through that pain any more.

Say a prayer for my babies (including Kendra).

See you soon!

No comments: