Monday, September 21, 2009

on vacation (part 2)

Where do I even begin? My mind is overflowing with content for the blog, but it's so hard to put everything into words that result in a coherent post. I'll give it my best shot.

Firstly, let me say that I talked my Dad into buying a wireless router so I didn't have to sit in the Autozone lobby to build this blog post. Thanks, Dad! I'm grateful for his willingness to purchase it and also to Linksys for their superior products. I threatened to list my Dad's home address on the website that shows where to get free wireless internet (along with autozone and the bread company).

I never realized how much I miss certain things about Missouri until I'm here and have the opportunity to enjoy them. Andy's frozen custard is one of those things. Kendra and I have visited Andy's every night since we arrived and I foresee many other trips there over the next week. Easton and Layla ate their kiddie sized cone as well as some of ours.


My nephews, Eli and Silas, shared their cream soda in a bottle with me.


Actually, our entire family was more than happy to go for ice cream! Andy's doesn't have a seating area, just a drive-thru, walk-up window, and a curb to sit on.


Another thing I miss is rain! After living in the desert for 13 years, lightning and thunder and flooding are extremely rare and interesting. Easton and Layla were amazed as we went for a walk in the rain. Kendra kept Layla dry and Easton huddled under these things called umbrellas as we strolled through my parent's neighborhood.


My nephew Silas hid under his umbrella and Eli jumped out from behind his as we walked by.


My brother-in-law John was a good sport to go along for the walk and secure enough in his manhood to don the maroon floral print umbrella. My mom only had 5 umbrellas on hand so he was stuck with the broken, leaky, flowery one.


By the way, we don't even own an umbrella so that should tell you how rare we get to experience rain where we can go for a walk. Tonight we received torrential downpours and here is a picture of my parent's back yard. You can see it turned into a river!


My Dad had to open the gates on either side of their back yard just to let the flood flow through. It was truly amazing to see the rain come down sideways. The thunder rolling on and on for hours sounded like a lullaby to me. I've been sleeping very soundly here partially due to the drone of the rain and crackling of thunder.

There are other things I miss without having to visit before remembering how great they are. Sunday lunch with our entire family is one of those events.


This was the first time for all of us to eat together since our twins were born and my brother's adoption of Lexi was finalized. A very special moment indeed. All of my parents kids and their grandkids under one roof sharing the best part of life: Quality time together.

The 4 Webbs are experiencing Missouri weather at its finest... one minute we are playing in the park with shorts and a T-shirts on and the next we are dodging a downpour as we run inside the house from the car.

Easton loves Waggles (Nana and Papa's dog) almost as much as he loves his thumb.


Layla discovered she can bounce on the bouncy ball just like the big kids (as long as Aunt Joanie was close enough to hold on to her).


Daphne is such a good helper. She shows off her mommy skills by helping to feed Easton.


And she is willing to show Layla the correct way to stack blocks.


Every day really is an adventure for us. I cherish every moment of the vacation and time away from work through the simple things of what I call "doing life together". This goes back to the concepts of my previous posts where I blog about manufactured fun compared to natural fun. There is nothing more natural than spending the days with grandparents watching the twins grow up before our eyes.

There are many more stories and photos to share, but the dual alarm clocks don't turn off... even during vacation. Therefore I must retire to bed and hope to find time during the day tomorrow to share about Kendra and Easton and my phone getting drenched with raspberry iced tea, compliments of our waitress.

PS. don't call my cell phone because it short circuited and is dead. Time to go buy a new phone when i get back to Arizona!

Bye bye.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right Bronson. There is nothing like family lunch/dinner on Sundays! We had dinner together every Sunday as I was growing up. It is true that being home again, especially when you have children, stir up many feelings and memories. Family is a gift from God and we are so glad the 4 Webbs are experiencing family in Missouri. :)
Much love, Opa and Oma

The Four Webbs said...

Thanks for the comments and catching up with us on Skype last night, Oma. We are so used to seeing you almost every day and the twins still ask for you by name regularaly!

Scott & Marisue said...

Oh man! I have always wanted to try frozen custard! Scott and I watched a show on the Food Network that featured a place like Andy's...I can't remember the name, but it very well could have been Andy's! It just looks and sounds so yummy!! You guys should take the kids on a kitchen tour there and learn how frozen custard is made so you can come home and make it for one of our dinners! Glad you're having a good time with your family. We'll be thinking of you all this evening as it is Wednesday. :0)

aunt joanie said...

Funny that I'm reading your blog and we've seen you today! Old habits die hard. It's my daily fix, on top of having time with you. Loved shopping with you Kendra...fun!! Loved having you over last night. Layla bounding across the backyard. Easton pouring me tea. Had a blast. Wish we could do it more often. Big love! jb